Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 04-01-2023, 06:26 PM   #1
satori nakamoto

Vehicle: 1997 Hardbody reg cab
Exclamation Distributor wiring harness for 1997 hardbody d21 ka24e, m/t

Does anyone have the color coded wiring diagram for the distributor harness for a 1997 hardbody ka24e? I found a schematic in the fsm but it doesnt have colors. I'm not exactly an expert schematic reader either so that may be an issue. I'm trying to identify which wire is which so I can test them and make sure everything is good. I removed the entire intake side of the harness and stuffed everything in the corner when I removed the head and now I'm not getting any spark and all the sensors on that end of the harness are throwing codes. So I'm assuming I may have shorted some wires when I bent the harness around or there's an open somewhere. The other cause might be that the ecm got fried as well either from shorting or from turning on the ignition without the block grounded at all. The last, and tbh now that I think about it, the most likely cause is water ingress in the ecu from all the rain we've been having so I plan to diagnose the ecm as well. Engine cranks and I can pull codes from the obd II port.

Last edited by satori nakamoto; 04-01-2023 at 07:02 PM.
satori nakamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:49 PM   #2
KivPanther
Furball

Vehicle: 1994 XE King Cab V6

The schematc has colors listed next the wires. Those little letters are the color. B - black, G- green, L- blue, Y - yellow, W - white, and doubles for stripes. So B/W would be black wire with white stripe. P/W pink with white stripe. Etc.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:16 AM   #3
satori nakamoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KivPanther View Post
The schematc has colors listed next the wires. Those little letters are the color. B - black, G- green, L- blue, Y - yellow, W - white, and doubles for stripes. So B/W would be black wire with white stripe. P/W pink with white stripe. Etc.
I don't see it...

Old 04-03-2023, 06:47 PM   #4
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KN4 paint code, HF35 axle, FS5W71C trans, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all

You’ll need to go to the FSM EC-171 for the Camshaft Position Sensor where code P0320 starts for troubleshooting.

The pages will give most of the 6 wiring colors and positions of the wiring.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:13 AM   #5
satori nakamoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
You’ll need to go to the FSM EC-171 for the Camshaft Position Sensor where code P0320 starts for troubleshooting.

The pages will give most of the 6 wiring colors and positions of the wiring.
Thanks. I see terminals 3-6 but I don't see terminals 1 (white) and 2 (black/pink)

Old 04-05-2023, 04:12 AM   #6
KivPanther
Furball

1. Right, so the B/P and W wires aren't for your camshaft position sensor according to the schematic, but they share the same connector. M12 in this case.

2. Back check that connector (M12) through the harness layout diagram in the EL section and we see that it goes to the Camshaft Position Sensor, Ignition Module, and Power Transistor, which are all built into the KA24E's distributor.

3. So we know that pins 3-6 are for the Camshaft Position Sensor. That means that the other two must go to the Power Transistor/Ignition Module.

4. Go to that section in the EC block. According to the schematic on EC-258, the white wire is the Ignition Signal, and the Black/Pink wire is the ground for the Power Transistor.

Follow?
Old 04-07-2023, 03:42 AM   #7
satori nakamoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KivPanther View Post
1. Right, so the B/P and W wires aren't for your camshaft position sensor according to the schematic, but they share the same connector. M12 in this case.

2. Back check that connector (M12) through the harness layout diagram in the EL section and we see that it goes to the Camshaft Position Sensor, Ignition Module, and Power Transistor, which are all built into the KA24E's distributor.

3. So we know that pins 3-6 are for the Camshaft Position Sensor. That means that the other two must go to the Power Transistor/Ignition Module.

4. Go to that section in the EC block. According to the schematic on EC-258, the white wire is the Ignition Signal, and the Black/Pink wire is the ground for the Power Transistor.

Follow?
Thanks! My brain stopped when I couldn't find a matching diagram...Who draws these things? smh I follow your explanation and process of elimination however I cannot see how you back checked M12 on the harness diagram in EL as you said. How did you discover the existence of and identify the other components?

Last edited by satori nakamoto; 04-07-2023 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:24 PM   #8
KivPanther
Furball

Sorry, I left out a step! Once I double-checked where the connector went to I went back to the EC section and looked up the distributor diagram. You can see in the first picture that it encapsulates the ignition coil and transistor / ignition module. The coil itself would not have such a wimpy wire carrying the 50,000 volts needed to fire the plugs, so it must've been the transistor / ignition module. Go to that diagram and voila.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:50 PM   #9
satori nakamoto

Ahh. Now see! For future reference though, that first diagram I posted was from the Hanes Manual I have. Is there one in the FSM as well? It would have been extremely difficult for someone to do the detective work if they had to use both the Hanes manual in conjuction with the fsm (and Infamous Nissan). Or is that a normal thing in automotive diagnostics?
Old 04-08-2023, 02:51 AM   #10
KivPanther
Furball

Yep, there are component diagrams and and circuit diagrams in the FSM. No need for the Haynes manual. I used the diagram in the FSM but you can see in the Haynes manual what I was talking about.